Hitting the road for a summer road trip? Awesome! Everyone should experience this American institution at least once in their lives. There are countless destinations right here in the good ol’ U.S. of A. that everyone should try to visit in their lifetime – places full of fun, history, and cultural significance.
As exciting as it sounds to jump in the car and head out on your adventure on a wing and a prayer, a little preparation can make the trip a lot more enjoyable! There are a few things that can make your trip one that you’ll look back on fondly for years to come. Here are some things to do before you go:
- The first step in having an amazing time on your road trip is choose your travel companions wisely. Go with someone you’ll have an amazing time with. It could be your sweetheart, your family, a parent, or your best buds, but whoever you choose, know that you’ll remember this trip forever, so make it count!
- Then, learn how to pack the perfect road trip kit. You’ll need things that you may not think about when you take a normal destination vacation. Things like pillows and blankets should be on the list, as a first-aid kit should be also since you won’t know where the nearest medical facilities are. Additional items that can make the trip go off without a hitch include a flashlight, some batteries, jumper cables, moist wipes, a laundry bag, and a few small trash bags. In addition, you will want to pack some non-messy, non-perishable snacks such as granola bars and trail mix for times when there’s no all-night diner in sight.
- Next, get your car in shape for the trip. This is another key step that will keep you on the move during this once-in-a-lifetime road trip. Check the tires, brakes, oil, and transmission fluid. Have coolant added if it’s summertime. Riding with the windows down is novel and fun for a while, but it can get old quick! TuneTech or any other professional automotive shop can give you recommendations for getting your car in the best possible shape for a road trip that will last one day or a whole month!
- Now, you’ll need to pack. We recommend packing versatile, lightweight clothes that you can wash and wear again. Clothes that can be hung up to dry are the best for road trips because they can be dried practically anywhere and packed back up for next time. Items that can be layered are also great for days that your travels take you from the desert to mountaintops.
- Finally, you can worry about the little extras that will give your trip a special touch. A playlist that you listen to over and over will create an instant memory whenever you hear those songs for years to come. You’ll also want a basic itinerary, or at least a list of things that you must do and see so that you can stay on track just a little.